With TV shows such as “Home Town” and “Fixer Upper” growing in popularity, the biggest trend predicted to hit the Australian interior world this autumn is the ‘American Modern Farmhouse’. While it’s quite a mouthful to say – the look, at least, is very easy to achieve. As the weather changes, it’s the greatest time to consider sprucing up
your interiors, ready for the long nights indoors. Sydney Property Styling expert and Director of Vault Interiors, Justine Wilson says, “The American Modern Farmhouse trend is going to dominate interiors in Autumn 2019. The style is characterised by rustic textures, thick wool, distressed furniture, reclaimed statement pieces, overly neutral palette, leather, timber, concrete, metal, brick and lots of faux greenery and layering.”
Justine’s top 7 tips to get the ‘American Modern Farmhouse’ look in your home:
1. Substitute artwork for over scale vintage signs or script work. Think words such as “bakery” or “laundry”. You can find lots of signs like this on Etsy.
4. Rustic statement pieces are key. Use timber chests as coffee tables; think old look
farmhouse dining tables, timber benches in your foyer and distressed wooden consoles.
Pick up a gem on Gumtree, thrift stores, or give some old pieces a little love. With a bit of elbow grease, a quick sand and a lick of paint you can have the look in an affordable
way. Try Mayson Coffee Table from Freedom or the Fulham Shelving Unit from Early Settler.
5. Industrial pieces will contrast the natural style. Make a serious impression in the room, think iron barstools and metal bookshelves. You could also try industrial floating shelves and wooden with black iron brackets.
6. Clever grouping of faux greenery. Use glass containers and group three to five of the same plan leaf. Simple glass canisters work well. Try palm leave, fake herbs or fiddle leaf plants. Kmart is great!
7. Install feature walls. Try shiplap or board and baton as these are inexpensive materials, easy to install and can be bought at any hardware store. White brick and vinyl wallpaper is very on trend and for this look.
“The reason I like this look for autumn is it’s a very warm, durable, earthy family friendly and timeless feel, perfect to encourage lingering chats, and for snuggling up on the sofa. Grab a cup of Cocoa, and settle in with layers of wool throws for a picture perfect Instagram worthy look,” adds Justine.
Feeling inspired? Here are Justine’s top Instagram pages to watch!